March 26, 2010

can mike help?

While getting dressed for Emma's Easter party on Friday morning, I overheard my child puking on the couch. Lovely, right? We were all dressed for once and ready to head to the school, but our plans changed rather quickly. Emma was devastated...she was going to miss her Easter party at school. So feeling sad for her, I struck up a deal. It was rainbow cupcake day. Her first question to me was, "Can Mike help?" I will tell you who he is later, but for now, you can wonder what I was wondering...has my child lost her mind? Does she have an imaginary friend that I don't know about? And if so, why is his name Mike? Shouldn't it be Sally or something?
DSC_9400

She inserted our little chickie liners.
DSC_9403

Added all of the ingredients to our white cake mix.
DSC_9411

Then, licked the beaters. Which, instantly makes everything better.
DSC_9414

This.
DSC_9415

Is.
DSC_9416

Yummy.
DSC_9417

Want a lick, Mom?
DSC_9418

Do you remember Emma's rainbow birthday cake? Well, we went with the same theme here. But we only picked three colors this time. I wasn't up to six colors with a newborn. And, you finally get to meet Mike. Mike the Tiger that is. If you aren't an LSU fan, you probably won't understand. I was just grateful that Mike was a stuffed animal :)
DSC_9419

We divided the cake batter into three bowls. To tint, Emma picked blue, yellow (her self proclaimed favorite color), and pink.
DSC_9424

She stirred them each well.
DSC_9428

We placed a spoonful of each color in each cupcake. You just plop each color right on top of the other.
DSC_9431

They look like this when they're done.
DSC_9436

And, they look like this when you peel the wrapper off.
DSC_9442

And, they look like this when you take a bite.
DSC_9447

Carson was napping during our little project, and I was praying that he stayed asleep until we were done :)
DSC_9449

He did. And, when he woke up, I fed him. And, Emma harassed him.
DSC_9455

Then we frosted the cupcakes. I will post our frosting recipe below. They were delicious! We took them to our neighborhood Easter egg hunt, and there wasn't a single one left...
DSC_9461
Frosting Recipe:

2 sticks of butter
1/2 to 3/4 bag of powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
the juice of a lemon
1/2 small container of cool whip
maybe some milk...

Let your butter sit on the counter and come to room temp. Add the butter to your mixer. Beat. Add the powdered sugar to taste. Add the vanilla and lemon juice. Beat well. Add the cool whip, and if it's still too thick, add a tablespoon of milk. More if you need it. Mix one more time. I dumped the icing into a gallon ziploc bag and threw it into the fridge. You could put it into the freezer for a little while if you wanted to get it really cold. When your cupcakes cool, snip the corner of the bag, and swirl the icing on. The lemon juice really cut the "sweet," which is why I think they were so yummy, and the cool whip made the icing light and fluffy. Think rainbows, clouds, and sprinkles :)

If you aren't into the lemon and cool whip, omit it. You will still make icing. It will just be thick and sweet, like the icing I made for Emma's birthday cake. And, you would have to apply it with a knife.

P.S. Since there was cool whip in the icing, I kept them in the fridge when we were done :)

1 comment:

heide Presse said...

Hi Jennifer,
You don't know me, but I'm an old high school friend of your mom's. We've gone to school together since elementary, maybe even Kindergarten, I can't remember.
We recently re-connected on Facebook, and had a nice phone chat this morning. It was so nice to talk to her again!
Of course she told me all about her children, and she directed me to your blog so I could see what you all look like, and especially her grandbabies.
I wanted to send you a quick note to tell you how beautiful your children are, and you've done a great job with your blog....I enjoyed looking through it and visiting your life. You are very creative and have a great eye with your photography!
I'm an artist, and also love photography. I'm thinking of starting a blog sometime this year with Wordpress to replace my website. It's very stale right now, and I need a tool to keep my collectors and galleries updated on what I'm doing and painting.
But anyway...it was nice to finally "meet" you! I wish I lived closer so I could visit old, but very good, friends. (I live in Florida)
Warmest regards,
Heide Presse
www.heidepresse.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...