October 29, 2009

Little Hands

I wanted to make our annual batch of Halloween sugar cookies this year.
So, I asked for help from one sweet little girl.
She brought along three friends, Tigger, Lion, and Giraffe. Just in case we needed back-up.
She loves to help me in the kitchen, and I love little hands in the kitchen...most of the time :) It was nap time, so I did the cutting out while she was sleeping. Flour is a BIG mess~even for mommies!
Chocolate chips and M&M's were waiting for her when she woke up.
We had sprinkles and icing too.
I made these for me. I prefer the ones without the icing.
I also made these while she was sleeping. Can you tell they are owls? Their eyes are oreos. I am taking them to our annual Halloween Hayride and Trick or Treat Party...for the kiddos, of course!
I summoned TWO helpers for the decorating. Emma and Ray.
They both went to town.
They had some samples along the way too.
And, some serious conversation.
Here's Ray with her finished cookies.
And, Emma with her's. After dinner, they each ate a cookie and swapped hugs :)
This recipe is not my "regular" sugar cookie recipe, but I think I will use it from now on. It was great for icing cookies, and they weren't too sweet! It makes a ton. This one recipe made all of the owls, the plain sugar cookies, and the cookies for the girls to decorate.

4.5 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 sticks unsalted butter~room temp
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs. Mix dry ingredients together. Add vanilla to milk. Alternate adding flour mixture and milk to the creamed butter and sugar. Mix well.

Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour. I think longer is better...overnight would be best.

When you are ready to bake, preheat oven to 375.

Divide dough into four sections. Roll one section at a time. I used quite a bit of flour to keep the dough from sticking. Cut shapes and bake on parchment lined baking sheets. I love parchment...your cookies will never burn! Bake for 8-10 minutes and let cool.

Icing:

I used canned icing for the girls' cookies. But, when I want colored icing (like for the owls), I mix powdered sugar with a little bit of milk and vanilla. It should be very thick. To get the color, I use the food gels that I used for Emma's rainbow birthday cake.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...