June 3, 2010

I'm a Barbie Girl

Although, it looks like a bomb went off in Barbie World...
DSC_0733

Wouldn't you agree?
DSC_0735

I brought these home from my mom and dad's this past weekend. They were both my and my sisters' Barbies. They were in storage, and with Mom and Dad's impending move, they needed a new home.
DSC_0742

From what I can remember, Mom still had most all of it. Of course, I could have told you that :)
DSC_0743

Their hair was matted, complete with dead flies. Their bodies were molded, and each of them had received somewhat of a new hairdo. I presume that this was courtesy of the "little sisters." They were headless, legless, and everything else less.
DSC_0765

I soaked them all upside down, in a tub full of liquid fabric softener. This was their "conditioning" treatment. Yes, I googled "how to wash a barbie's hair," and this was the standard protocol.
DSC_0771

I am sure that Rob was thrilled to have about 30 naked Barbies in the kitchen. I am also sure that he was beginning to think that I had lost it for sure this time.

In an attempt to complete this project without Emma's knowledge, I tried to keep most everything down in the kitchen sink.

She busted me in the process by getting on her tippy-toes and peering over the counter and down into the sink filled with barbie legs, arms, and heads. She looked up at me with her big brown eyes, and said with such worry, "oh my Mommy, oh my."
DSC_0772

So many memories were stirred up in the process. This was always my favorite outfit-the classic wedding dress and matching tux.
DSC_0760

And, this is what I always used for her wedding bouquet. It was still in tact.
DSC_0764

I found Barbie's tv, which would now be flat screen.
DSC_0758

And, Barbie's dog...
DSC_0744

Now, meet my very favorite Barbie. She was the "mom" to "The Heart Family." The set came with her, the dad, and a set of twin babies~a girl and a boy. She used to have long hair too, but I think those "little sisters" got a hold of her too. The baby boy is missing, I think he was Jack's lunch one late afternoon. So sad.
DSC_0751

They all got the "upside down fabric softener conditioning treatment," followed by a good brushing. After that, I threw them all into my washing machine on the sanitary cycle. Y'all know how I am about germs. Germs and black mold...they were just covered. My sanitary cycle gets so hot that I was worried that they would all come out "face-less." But, they didn't :)
DSC_0747

Then, I put them all back together. Some needed legs. Others needed heads, and then they all got a hair cut. The "little sisters" left some of the barbies with half long hair, half short, so after twenty years, a haircut was a must. Emma helped, and this is what they looked like after a pretty good cleaning...
DSC_0757

Much improved, right? I washed all of the Barbie clothes too, and after Emma was in bed one night, I dressed them all. I'll admit that it was so much fun.
DSC_0780

I am pretty sure that the top row of Barbies were mine. The six or eight on the far right hold a lot of memories for me, all the way down to their faces and clothes. As for the bottom row, I am not so sure, so "little sisters," you can stake your claim. I could tell that quite a few of the bottom row Barbies were ballerinas, gymnasts, cow girls, flight attendants, veterinarians, etc. None of which were mine.
DSC_0784

Emma has enjoyed her loot. Thankfully so, it was a lot of hard work. I brought home my Barbie Doll Dream House too. Although, Rob and I were joking that we should rename it the Barbie Doll Ghetto House. Suffice it to say, it needs a remodel.

If your mom has your Barbies, go get them before they ruin. I promise you, you won't regret it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only one I recognize is the mermaid one. Does her hair still turn pink in the water?

Lindsey

Jenn said...

oooh...we'll have to try that one in the tub or the baby pool.

Tara Owens said...

Precious girl, I love this post. If you have never read mine about the Barbie Party Bus on my blog, you must. We have a jillion Barbies and have had mildewed bodies and bad hair, but we love them just the same. I was an original Barbie girl and my girls both enjoy playing with them, but not with the same passion I did.

In case you don't have my blog, here it is.

http://taraleigho.blogspot.com/

I am not as good as you are about updating, but I promise to get better. Love to you and those little angels.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...