October 8, 2011

Emma's Birthday Celebration

Well, it's official. Our sweet baby girl just turned five. I'm here to give you the birthday party recap. Let's start with the invite (with some information blurred out :)...
emmabirthdayinvite copy
We've been planning her party for months now. It all started with a request about nine months ago for a reindeer party. All I could think was a reindeer party? In September? And Christmas had already passed, so there was not a single reindeer thing to even buy. awesome. So, this is what I did...
DSC_6612

It was an Emma's favorite things party. So, she picked it all. The colors. The reindeer. The cake. The drinks. The list goes on. Just so you don't think I'm crazy, take a look at this photo, and maybe after you read it, you won't think I'm quite so schizophrenic, and you'll understand how this party came to be.
FIVE

We had tons of family in for the big celebration. It's always a treat to see my sweet sisters...
DSC_6583

And, of course, no party's complete without Mama C.!
DSC_6584

This was her cake. It was a lemonade cake, which was per miss emma's request. Her favorite color is yellow, so the inside was yellow too. We used her very own toy favorite reindeer for the top, and I made a sweet bunting with her name for decoration. I used this recipe. But, I did tweak it a bit. I don't think I'm capable of following a recipe completely. I used yellow lemonade mix, and added the zest of two lemons. I think I doubled the lemon juice, and added some yellow dye too. I only had a bite, but it was delish! The lemon cream cheese frosting was divine!
DSC_6590

The night before, I cranked out over 50 "fairy cakes." I made the toppers myself, and used good 'ole Starbucks stir sticks, broken in half, for the stick portion. Don't worry, I've bought my share of Pumpkin Spice Lattes lately :) I used this recipe for the cupcakes.
photo-2

DSC_6591


DSC_6592

She was a happy girl!
DSC_6595


DSC_6596

I used our family heirloom tree branch as the centerpiece. We made reindeer, cupcake, the number 5, and the letter E salt dough ornaments, and I used some old mardi gras beads that I had on hand for garland.
DSC_6598

Marshmallows are one of Miss Emma's very favorite things, so I made marshmallows pops. Some were just yellow chocolate covered with sprinkles...
DSC_6599

And others were chocolate covered with graham crackers on top...smores! She loves those too!
DSC_6600

Since fairies are one of her favorite things, I used the fairy theme to label the food...
DSC_6601

DSC_6602

DSC_6610

This was the door to "Tink's Workshop."
DSC_6666

They were busy crafting in the backyard.
DSC_6667

DSC_6613

My hair looks super greasy in this photo. I promise it isn't. And, I promise it was super windy that day too.
DSC_6614


DSC_6623

We had a cupcake pinata, which I filled mostly with non-candy items like bubbles and mardi gras necklaces. There was some candy thrown in too :)
DSC_6628

DSC_6626

It was filled to the top, but you would have never know it.
DSC_6629

Holy geez, I don't think any of it every even hit the ground.
DSC_6630

DSC_6631

Bro was happy with his sugar overload...
DSC_6634

So, so happy with Cam too.
DSC_6633

We did bobbing for lemons...
DSC_6607

Which Miss Emma informed me tasted, "nasty."
DSC_6635

But was still quite entertaining.
DSC_6637

And, we had a great turnout. There were little children everywhere!
DSC_6640

It was time for the cake...
DSC_6643

DSC_6642

DSC_6641

DSC_6643

DSC_6644

And thanks to the wind, I had to cup my hands completely around the candles to keep them lit. I haven't quite figured out how to do that and take a photo at the same time :) But, she made her wish, and that's all that counts.
DSC_6645

DSC_6647

I think she enjoyed herself...
DSC_6650

And I think he did too.
DSC_6648

DSC_6651

We love her. She's sweet, helpful, independent, and oh so spirited.
DSC_6654

And, she loves her daddy tons.
DSC_6657

DSC_6659

DSC_6662

DSC_6668

Our babysitter extraordinaire was even there for Miss Emma's special day.
DSC_6669

Grand-dad and Nana came too.
DSC_6670

And after everyone had left, Carson braved the jump house for a little while.
DSC_6673

He had his personal assistant with him.
DSC_6671

See, she does just what he wants :)
DSC_6674

They're sweet.
DSC_6676

These were our favors....cookies in jar. They were fun to make, and so fun for Miss Emma to hand out to her friends. I've been wanting to make them for a long time. Here's the recipe, if you're interested! I wanted to use the breast cancer pink m&m's, but they aren't being manufactured anymore. So, I just doubled the amount of chocolate chips :)
DSC_6687

I made tags for the front and tags for the back...
DSC_6690

Carson got a turn with some real cowboy boots. It made me want to go buy him and his sister a pair.
DSC_6678

And, the next day, everybody had to go home. We were so glad that Papa C. got to make it too.
DSC_6680

Thanks to everyone for all of their help...especially our dads! They did the grilling and the steaking down of the bounce house, and a lot more. I'll spare you the details and the photos, but the morning of the party, I had to take Rob to the E.R. He practically cut his finger tip off while washing my punch bowl. Eight stitches later, we were back home with two prescriptions for pain, an antibiotic, and one for the books.
DSC_6682

I was so grateful that Aunt Lindy was there to keep the kiddos while we rushed off to the emergency room. It was an eventful weekend to say the least.
DSC_6684

So, Happy Birthday sweet Emma! You've grown up too fast, but we've enjoyed every minute. You are a super special little girl, and we all just love you to pieces.

Your party was fun, but in your own words, it was "too fun" of a day :)

Love you Memms!

More birthday inspiration can be found on my "happy happy birthday" board on Pinterest!

It's so addicting...so, so addicting :)

If you need an invite, just send me an email to jenncdouglas{at}gmail{dot}com

I'd love to get you addicted too :)

2 comments:

Jessica said...

So, so cute! Love the "favorite things" theme!!

Jenn said...

Jessica, Thanks so much for your sweet comment! It was just what she wanted, so that's all that matters, right? Hope you and your little ones are enjoying all of the fall festivities! Thanks again!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...