July 22, 2010

I smell like maple syrup...

So, before I tell you why, I'll tell you how this came to be...

I've figured out that I better document now, because for some reason it is so hard to remember everything "baby." You know, you ask a fellow mom, "How old was he when..." or "How many naps did he take when..." or "How much did he eat when..." and they look at you like you've completely lost your mind. So, I document mainly for myself, and for anyone interested in reading, so here it goes...

It all started last week. It was the week that Carson was to turn five months old. I was beginning to think that my milk supply was diminishing. Rob was out of town. The timing is always that way isn't it? So, instead of freaking out, I gave it a few days.

Carson let me know by screaming that he wasn't exactly full, and so the journey began.

This also happened to be the same week that I decided that the paci had to go. He was waking up multiple times a night, and Rob or I would have to make the trek across the hall to give it back to him. I still had hopes of one day returning to our bedroom, but it wouldn't be until he was sleeping through the night, unassisted :)

So, being the mean person that I am, I took his paci away. I knew it would only take a few days to break him, and I am a firm believer that the few days of pain is well worth the long term blissfulness of a sleeping baby.

He was also used to being swaddled, arms tucked away, and since I felt guilty that I took his "soother/paci" away, I thought it might be nice if he had his hands to suck on. So, I took the swaddle away too.

Then, I realized that he needed more awake time, so I began working towards stretching him to a 3.5 hour routine, with the ultimate goal being a 4 hour routine.

No paci. No swaddle. New routine. No Rob. No milk.

Delightful!

It was an awful week to say the least. I'll spare you all of the details, but just know that by his five month birthday, I was in tears over my milk supply.

After talking to a few good friends, a few "middle of the night" feedings, a trip to GNC, a trip to Whole Foods, O.D. ing on herbal supplements, and a date with my pump after every feeding, I can now feed my child. Which, let me tell you is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

I had to work really hard to build my milk supply back up. It was well earned, and for the life of me, I really can't tell you exactly "why" it happened in the first place. Was it a growth spurt, my cold from a couple of weeks ago, my cut in calories, just a fluke? The list could go on for days...

So, I spent the beginning portion of this week working back towards the 3.5 hour routine, and everything else in between. I was terrified that all of the drama disrupted his "sleeping through the night," but I am happy to report that the last two nights, Carson hasn't woken up once.

He goes to sleep without his paci, sleeps through the night, but still loves the swaddle. So, swaddle it is. I guess he likes not having access to his hands. Rob and I have even made our way back to our master bedroom.

Have you figured out why I smell like a giant pancake yet? It was the herbal supplements. The smell was unbelievable. You would have thought I took a pancake, dripping in syrup, and smeared it all over my body.

Rob thought it was hilarious.

I was just grateful for my milk.

And, it's not the milk that goes with stack of pancakes either.

1 comment:

The Shavers Family said...

Boy do I know exactly how you feel as I, too was on Fenugreek/More Milk Plus herbs for 2 months trying to build my supply back up. For me, it was the death of my mother in-law and the stress than came along with that (and all the traveling back and forth from CA to TX when Emily was only 6 weeks old) - my supply nearly dried up in a matter of weeks! The Fenugreek worked, thankfully, but I, too smelled like maple syrup and was horrified to leave home. ha!

So glad it worked for you!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...